“Human Resources isn’t a thing we do, it’s the thing that runs our business.”
Steve Wynn, CEO of Wynn Resorts Limited
As with most businesses during the current pandemic, it has been very difficult for employees to remain engaged while working from home. With most communication happening over messages or emails, face time or talk time is needed more than ever to re-connect. If there is a large staff compliment, this could be even more difficult. Try and break staff into teams with a Mentor/Manager to be in contact and the Directors would also need to ensure the Mentor/Manager is also checked on. Directors are encouraged to seek their own Mentors during this time, possibly outside of your own company. Below are a few ideas to ensure your employees are engaged and motivated.
- Encourage creativity and find out if staff have found better ways of communication or working while on lockdown. Ask them to share it with the rest of the staff.
- Get feedback from employees continually on how they are doing, workplace problems experienced, etc.
- Promote a positive culture and should a staff member start complaining on a group, cut it short and let them know you will contact them privately to assist. Stop negativity before it spreads through the workforce. Make sure your meetings are upbeat and you inform staff of any positive happenings within the firm or with the staff compliment.
- Keep staff busy during these times with projects that need to be done and can possibly be done remotely or with a skeleton staff in the office. An example would be to get a new paperless filing system in place, cleaning out servers, etc.
- Encourage collaboration by getting staff to work on projects together.
- Ensure that you give the employees recognition after any projects completed or if someone has done something well. Also recognise personal achievements such as new babies, birthdays or exam results.
- Reward hardworking employees or employees who have gone the extra mile during these trying times. It does not always have to be a bonus or increase should the company be struggling but a bouquet of flowers and chocolates and a mention on a message would be appreciated and encourage other staff to also bring their part.
Collier Recruitment is passionate about finding Top Talent through identification and engagement and building our “Top Talent Network”. Due to the dynamic environment in the recruitment industry, our highly-experienced team, including Megan Veldman and Candice Bertenshaw, are on hand to build long lasting relationships with clients and candidates, based on our professional support and value expertise.
“For People Who Count”
Below are a few of our excellent candidates ready to join your team in 2020.
|Expense Manager – Port Elizabeth – R Neg
|Procurement Specialist – Sundowner – R Neg
|IT Technician – Pretoria – R Neg
|Operations Manager – Johannesburg – R600K p.a.
|Travel Consultant – Gauteng – R12K Neg
|Senior Controller (Import & Exports) – Roosevelt Park – R Neg
|Project Manager – Pretoria – R600K p.a.
|Senior Project Manager – Roodepoort – RNeg
|Service Manager – East Rand – RNeg