“Pleasure in the job, puts perfection in the work.” Aristotle
There is a buzzword around the HR circles called topgrading interviewing. As the name suggests, this allows more insight into the candidate and will let the top candidates have more insight into the business and position they have applied for. The term topgrading comes from an article by Bradford D. Smart and the definitions is “Topgrading simply means proactively seeking out and employing the most talented people available, while redeploying (internally or externally) those of lesser ability or performance. More specifically, we view topgrading as employing only A players”. This process would work well for more senior candidates and not for general workers.
There are a few things that you can do as a test for this.
- What is currently working in your hiring process and what is not. Measure and improve on your current processes.
- The use of job scorecards are essential to ensure all interviews are based on the same needs and interviewers would be less biased when deciding on a shortlist.
- A detailed job description must be available for the interview process.
- Forms should include screening questions such as salary expectation, benefits received/expected, reason for leaving previous positions, likes and dislikes in a position and a bit of a self-appraisal.
- Ensure that telephone or on-line interviews are detailed and lengthy to test communication and listening skills.
- If the job requires certain competencies, ensure that you have a good program in place to measure these.
- A topgrading interview is intense and would focus on the candidates entire career to date and not just the previous position (e.g. Early influences, work history, plans and goals, self-evaluation).
- After every interview, have a debrief with the team and provide feedback should things have gone well and focus on areas of improvement. Each interviewer must submit notes on each candidate interviewed as this can be used to compare candidates.
- Reference checks must be done and the same questionnaire used across all candidates.
- Once a decision has been made, the new employee needs to be coached and a mentor should be appointed with at least monthly or bi-monthly meetings set up. Don’t wait for problems, address them as they happen or praise employees as it happens.
“For People Who Count”
We have highly skilled and excellent candidates ready to join your team in 2021. Please contact us with your requirements and we will be pleased to assist you with your placements.
|We have had an influx of Executive Personal Assistants and Administrative candidates. Contact Megan for CV’s – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Management of Diaries
- Client & customer liaison & screening calls
- Running administration of office
- Events coordination
- Database management
|2 x Property Managers – Randburg – R600K / R870K – CR0521020
- Budgeting – income assumptions and expenses
- Financial reporting
- Retention of tenants
- Monitoring of marketing space and renewal of leases
- Property and people management (maintenance, repairs, refurbishment, upgrades)
- OHS Act compliance
- Monitoring arrears and legal matters
|Personal Assistant – Bedfordview – RNeg – CR0521021
- Diary management
- Minutes of meetings
- Screening incoming calls & teleconferences
- Booking and management events
- Travel arrangements for CEO and ensuring claims are correct and paid
- Completing tax returns on E-Filing
- Managing the office of the CEO
|Bookkeeper – Alberton – R300K – CR0521022
- Over 10 years experience with debtors and creditors
- Preparing and maintaining documents for payment
- Reconciling accounts and payments
- Collating statements and invoices
- Debt collections
- Handling COD accounts
- Client queries
- Petty cash and reconciliations
|Accounting clerks – Various candidates looking for opportunities – CR0521023
- BCom Accounting degree
- Payables, receivables, cash management.
- Capture, maintenance and reconciling monthly credit invoices and statements
- Payments to creditors
- Requesting invoices from clients, preparation of bank reconciliations, preparation of payment requisition
|Debtors/Creditors Controller – Sandton – R204K – CR0521024
- Share-based billings according to lease agreements
- Invoices sent by deadline date
- Reconciliations of all accounts
- Chase debtors
- Capture invoices and pay before close off
- Weekly payroll control
- Reception duties, correspondence, drawing up leases
|Chemical Engineer – RNeg – CR0521025
- Chemical Engineer
- Process Engineer
- Research & Development Engineer
- Project Engineer