“You need to have a collaborative hiring process” Steve Jobs
Our focus this month is on succession planning in the workplace. Would your company survive and thrive should the CEO, Finance Managers or critical employees leave or worse still have an untimely death? There is nothing more challenging than trying to find information that has not been stored centrally or worse still been deleted by an unhappy employee that is leaving. There are a few steps that can be put in place to ensure a smooth handover in the event of any staff member leaving, retiring, deceased or disabled.
- Each employee should save company information on a shared server which is backed up periodically. These files can be secured with the help of your IT.
- Objective – To identify potential candidates to move into executive or succession positions.
- Scope – identify high risk positions, identify staff who would be interested and assess their competencies, prepare a development plan which could provide development opportunities.
- Formalise – identify the job requirements and training, mentorship required for each position and agree on the method of assessment.
- Prepare a development plan – individual outlining specific activities to develop required competencies and agree the timetable with milestones to assess the progress. The employee is to take personal responsibility for their own development.
- Communicate to staff the reason for the process taking place as they may feel that the position currently filled is in jeopardy.
- Ensure that the employee is being mentored properly and getting the appropriate training.
- Each member of staff needs to develop a “manual” of Standard Operating Procedures. These can be short outlines of each task that is to be performed, where to find the information or who to contact. Each task should be defined and easy to follow in the event that the person who is currently doing the work is no longer available.
Collier Recruitment is passionate about finding Top Talent through identification and engagement and building our “Top Talent Network”. Due to the dynamic environment in the recruitment industry, our highly-experienced team, including Megan Veldman and Candice Bertenshaw, are on hand to build long-lasting relationships with clients and candidates, based on our professional support and value expertise.
“For People Who Count”
Below are a few of our excellent candidates ready to join your team in 2020.
|Sales & Client Service Administrator – JHB – Rneg
|Assistant to HR Director – JHB – Rneg
|Commercial Fleet Advisor – Boksburg – Rneg
|HR Administrator – Johannesburg – Rneg
|Business process Management – Johannesburg – R336K p.a.
|Payroll Supervisor – Johannesburg – R300K p.a.